Friday, March 19, 2010

Danielle Top...

After much seam picking, I've finally finished making the first garment out of the stash of fabrics that I recently bought.

This is based on Danielle pattern by BurdaStyle, with a few small bits of alteration.

1. Because I used a stretch material, no zip was needed.
2. The band was elasticized.
3. I did not use the original Danielle pattern for the bottom part, instead I drafted a simple A-line skirt for it.
4. Used a self-made bias binding strip for the neckline instead of using the facing pattern.

Although this top was comfortable (because it has room to stretch) the neckline feels a bit weird and over-stretched. I am still thinking whether I should re-do that bit or not...

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

3 From 1 - Printed Knit

I decided to make use of this fabric the best way I can, meaninG minimal scraps and create at least 2 items with it. And... My effort was a success.

I created 2 tops and one decorative scarf with the entire 2.5 meters of the fabric.

First is this sleeveless tank top with a rolled pleat at the front bodice. It also has an elasticized hem.

Second garment is this kimono-style tunic top which features a cross-over front detail and a circle skirt.

This top can be worn as is or cinched with a belt or a ribbon.

Lastly, the remaining fabric was turned into a decorative scarf.

The fabric has a beautiful drape and is very cool on the skin and comfortable.

Monday, March 8, 2010

Additions to my stash...

I've just been on a fabric shopping spree last week with the rare chance of "stretch" materials being on sale and a discount voucher from Spotlight. In total, I got 9.5 meters of mostly stretch fabrics.

These are cotton interlock fabrics. The red one is just half a meter while all the rest is on one meter each. I have chosen mostly plain block colors simply because I am planning to mix and match a couple of them in just one garment.

Stripe jersey fabric in two different tones of blue and one in pink.

This is a purl knit fabric in chambray. Soon, this fabric would be a comfy cardigan.

... And last but not the least, the only non-stretch fabric among them. A matte satin in floral print on a natural background. I plan to do a simple top for this as I don't have that much fabric to work on something complicated.

I have already started using the floral printed and the chocolate cotton interlock for a Danielle-inspired top. It's almost finished (I only have to put the elastic casing and the elastic on the empire waist and finishing the neckline), but I think I would be unpicking the sleeves because they look odd.

Have to wait for the weekends before I get down to work again...