One of my newest creations... the Batwing top. Created using a free pattern from the BurdaStyle website (created by pixelink).
I made a few alterations to the original style - such as adding a hip band instead of a plain hem, opting for a wide rounded neck instead of the V-shaped neck and adding the beaded crochet detail on the neckline to give it some character.
Putting the pieces together was such a breeze. I have actually debated with myself whether I would want to go through the hassle of putting in the crochet inset or not. But I'm glad that I did as the detail gave the top an exciting look to it.
The crochet detail was done using a pattern I initially downloaded for a scarf. It was placed asymmetrically on the front bodice just under the neckline. The crochet detail has some black-pearl-like beads on it (they came from my stash as a left over from a gown I made last August 2009).
I like this top as it is comfortable and was able to hide a few unsightly areas (like a belly fat). Very chic to wear with a pair of slim-fit jeans or a pair of leggings, but I think it would also create a statement when worn with a pencil-cut skirt.